Backyard Poultry Value Chain - Assets, Income and Nutrition
- An Improved dual purpose bird produced by a Private company since 1993.
- Annual Egg production - 150 to 200, an average male body weight of 1 kg in 6-8 weeks under semi scavenging system.
- 10 million birds to 800,000 farmers located in W.Bengal, Orissa, North east states and Uttranchal.
- Door step delivery of chicks.
- Self employment generated at all levels.
- Effective doorstep delivery of dual purpose birds by Private sector; creating a viable rural business model.
- Breeding efforts are focused on clients demand.
- It showcases development of entrepreneural skills in poor.
- For the poor strengthening livelihood is not just incomes, but also assets, nutrition and finally income.
- Government still not a player in bio security and extension. There is a lack of convergence.