Strengthening backyard poultry through village level health workers
SAGP05 - An initiative of Govt of Chhattisgarh and an INGO
- Trained tribal youth provide health care and extension in tribal areas as well be self employed.
- Supporting and strengthening indigenous knowledge and backyard poultry.
- Preventive health care – three fold increase in the flock size.
- Successful and smooth takeover of Bilateral project by Government
- Continuity ensured by Government - no undesirable transfers of Veterinary Officers.
- Trained local para vets help in disease prevention and control while earning Rs 500-Rs1000 per month.
- Pulse Ranikhet vaccination campaign resulted in 3 fold increase in flock size.
- Model replicated from 1 district to 4 in 4 years.
- Group extension through Self Help Groups: Women empowerment and poverty reduction.
- Pro-poor package of practices through model farmer acts as a catalyst.